Certain customer behavior could point to bankcard fraud. But remember, it doesn’t necessarily indicate criminal activity—you know your customers, so let your instincts steer you in the right direction.
Watch out for customers who:
- Purchase a lot of merchandise without regard to size, style, color, or price.
- Ask no questions on major purchases.
- Try to distract or rush you during the sale.
- Make purchases, leave the store, and return to make more purchases.
- Make large purchases right at opening or at the last minute when the store is closing.
- Refuse free delivery for large items.
- Hold on to the customer’s card if you think you can do so safely.
- Follow your company’s procedures and notify your supervisor.
- Call your voice authorization center and request a “Code 10” authorization using a normal tone of voice. An operator will tell you what to do.
Read the latest car news and check out newest photos, articles, and more from the Car and Driver Blog.